Apokoronas, 2 – beautiful villages!

Apokoronas
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on vk
Share on tumblr

Apokoronas (Greek: Αποκόρωνας) is a municipality and a former province in Chania regional unit, north-west Crete, Greece. It is situated on the north coast of Crete, east of Chania. The seat of the municipality is the village Vryses

Apokoronas extends from the foothills of the White Mountains north to the coast, in a wide plain with rolling hills. To the east, Cape Drapanon rises above the plain and extends out into the Sea of Crete. The area is very green and fertile, unusual for rocky Crete.

Part 2:

Vamos of Apokoronas History

Vamos, According to historical books, was built by Arab pirates, around the 8th century. The Venetians, in 1573, organized Vamos as a capital, mentioned as “Vamou” with 271 permanent inhabitants.

Apokoronas During the time Greece was under Turkish domination, Vamos village was the base of the Turkish army and in 1863 Pasha Savas chose Vamos as the Capital of the prefecture of Sfakia. Locals faught hard to set Vamos free from Turkish occupation, finally 1896 set Vamos free from the Turks.

Some years in past, Vamos was the capital of Sfakia and a great development as a region. This development is characterized by the luxurious hoMost building have the influence of the Venetian architecture and of course the stone made Cretan architecture that still impresses the visitors.

The architectural heritage in Vamos is one of the most attractive traditional destinations of the area: a traditional stone road, the old neighborhood, well painted Chapels of Virgin Mary (monument of 13th century), and Monastery of Karidi 13th-19th century built,  old olive mill.

Alikampos village of Apokoronas

Alikampos-Apokoronas Alikampos is located at an altitude of 330 meters in the eastern foothills of the White Mountains, on a slope known as the Alikampiotiki madara. n and we do not know exactly when the village was founded, its name possibly comes from a combination of the ancient Greek word alys (red) with the Latin campo (field), because there is a lot of red soil on the slope.

According to another version, the first compound comes from the Arabic word ‘ali which means high, so the name means “high plain”. According to a third version, the village got its name from the Ottoman pirate Uluç Ali who destroyed it in 1567, which is why it is sometimes referred to as “Alikambos”. In any case, the village is mentioned as Alicambo by Barozzi in 1577 and with the same name by Kastrophylakas (Venetian census) in 1583.

According to the available sources, the first to build fortifications in the village were Arabs, who built a fortress at the Pirgiolyki site in 821 AD. After the reconquest of Crete by Nikiphoros Fokas in 961 AD, twelve noble families settled in Crete, and were given large tracts of land. Alikampos was then given to Malavara, together with an area extending east to Lake Kourna and north to the Vrysian River.

The village flourished during the next two centuries, during which time several churches were built, among which the Dormition of the Virgin, which was frescoed by Ioannis Pagomenos around 1315 and is preserved in good condition to this day. After the occupation of Crete by the Venetians, the Conti family settled in the village, members of which served as Venetian mercenaries in several wars.

However, the locals were dissatisfied with the Venetian administration and participated in several revolts against it. They showed particular action during the rebellion of Cantanoleon (1527-1528), as a result of which a force of 3,000 soldiers was sent against them under the general Lukinos Delfermis. Despite the valiant efforts of the Alikabiotes, the Venetians captured and destroyed the village, while they slaughtered or exiled almost all of its inhabitants.

They then tried to sell or settle the village, but the Alikambiotes managed to return in 1536 and a little later the ownership of their estates was recognized. The locals’ relations with the Ottomans were no easier than with the Venetians, and Alikambos continued to be a center of revolutionary activity during the Turkish occupation. In March 1824, Tsouderos attacked from Alikabos against Hussein Pasha’s Egyptians, but failed to repel them.

Some seventy years later, From Klima Alikabou, the Metapolitical Revolution began on September 3, 1895, when the first judge in Vamos, Manousos Koundouros, read before 1,500 armed men a memorandum with the demands of the island’s Christians, while a little later Iosif Lekanidis of Alikambi was elected secretary general of the Metapolitical Committee, who played an important role in the conflicts of 1895-1896 and in the liberation of Apokoronas from the Ottomans.

In terms of its administrative dependence, the village is listed as part of the Municipality of Mathe in 1881, part of the Municipality of Georgioupolis in 1900, an independent community in 1928 and part of the Municipality of Krionerida in 1999, while since 2010 it has been a Municipal Department of the Municipal Unit of Krionerida of the same name Apokoronas Municipality.

Emprosneros village of Apokoronas

Emprosneros village of ApokoronasEmbrosneros (or Brosneros) is a village of the municipality of Apokoronos in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. In the period 1999-2010 it belonged to the municipality of Krioneridos. Embrosneros is located 38 km southeast of Chania at the foot of the White Mountains at an altitude of 260 meters at the entrance to the straits of Krapi and Katre, which lead to the area of ​​Sfakia. According to the 2001 census, it has a population of 268 inhabitants who are mainly engaged in animal husbandry, olive cultivation, viticulture and carob cultivation.

The area is rich in water resources and according to many versions, the name of the village as well as the wider area is due to them, which before the administrative restructuring of 2010 was called the Municipality of Krionerid, with Vryses as its capital.

Tzitzifes village of Apokoronas

Tzitzifes village of Apokoronas Tzitzifes is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronas in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. It is located at an altitude of 255 meters above sea level, at latitude 35.3673407214 and longitude 24.1478471239. In Jujube is produced the healing oil karabasi

Mouri village of Apokoronas

Mouri village of Apokoronas Mouri (Local Community of Georgioupolis – Municipal Unit of GEORGIUPOLEOS), belongs to the municipality of Apokoronas of the Regional Unit of CHANIA located in the Region of Crete, according to the administrative division of Greece as formed by the “Kallikratis” program.

The official name is “the Murion”. The seat of the municipality is Vryses and it belongs to the geographical division of Crete.

Fres ( Fre) village of Apokoronas

Fres village of Apokoronas Fre is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronas in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. It is 30 kilometers from Chania and is built at an altitude of 220 m. The economy of the village is agricultural, with the main products being olive oil, wine and cheese products. The village is mentioned in a history of 1573, written by Theodoros Trulinos, which mentions that in the year 1571 a raid by the corsair Uluj Ali took place, in which he burned the villages of Alikambos and Fones.

He continued the raid up to the village of Fengi (today’s Fres), where the inhabitants put up strong resistance. The village later states that it was named Fres after a school of Catholic monks (Frerids).

Stergios Spanakis states that this information is probably incorrect, as the village is mentioned under the name of Fres in the 1577 census, while also Giuseppe Gerola did not record the existence of a Frere monastery in the area. The village is mentioned by Francesco Barozzi in 1577 as Fre, in the province of Apokoronas. In the Venetian census of 1583 by Kastrofilakas it is mentioned as Fre with 30 privileged, but it is not mentioned in the population census, nor is it mentioned by Francesco Basilicata in 1630.

The village was also known as Pomogna Juliani, after a local landowner named Giuliani, but eventually the name Fres prevailed. The first years of Ottoman rule remain obscure, due to the absence of sources. The Kotsovitsa settlement participated in the revolution of Daskalogiannis in 1770, but after the failure of the revolution, the settlement was destroyed and its inhabitants were killed by the Turkish forces.

In February 1824, Hasan Pasha invaded Apokoronas and burned the villages in the area. On the heights above Fré he captured about 400 Christians, whom he sold as slaves. After the end of the revolution, an Egyptian headquarters was established in the village. In the Egyptian census of 1834 it is mentioned as Fre that it had 80 Christian and 1 Turkish families. Michael Khourmouzis in his work Kritika in 1842 mentions it as Frai. Fres had a pivotal role in the 19th century revolutions against the Ottomans. The revolution of 1841 was proclaimed in Fré by Hairetis.

Also, the first armed conflict of the 1866 revolution took place in Fre, when Nikolas Tzitzikalakis shot and killed the bloodthirsty Hatzi Hussein Agha of Pemonion. The village, because of its central position, often became a theater of conflicts in this revolution and many of its inhabitants left it. Also, the revolutionary committee of 1878 was meeting in Fré when it was decided to declare the revolution. The village also participated in the revolution of 1895-1898, and was the seat of the Post-political Committee.

In 1881 it was designated the seat of the municipality of Fre, one of the four of Apokoronas, and according to the census it had a purely Christian population, with 707 inhabitants. In the 1900 census it had 842 inhabitants and was still the capital of the same municipality. In 1913 and until 1925 it was the seat of the agricultural municipality of the same name.

In 1925 it was designated the seat of the Fre community, which was maintained until the Kapodistrian administrative division in 1997, when it was designated the seat of the then municipality of Fre.

In 2010 it again became the seat of the community of the municipality of Apokoronas. During the German occupation, in World War II, the village was bombed by the Germans, as a result of which some houses were destroyed and two women were killed. A bomb fell in the courtyard of the church of Panagia, but without exploding. Also, an EAM-EEC agreement was signed in the village so that rebels from other areas would not be allowed to enter Apokoronas.

Paidochori

Paidochori Chania Paidochori of Apokoronas (officially: Paidochorion) is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronos in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. It is 29 kilometers from Chania and is built at an altitude of 200 m
Remains of a carved Greco-Roman circular tomb have been found between the villages of Ramni and Paidochori.
The village is not mentioned in the Venetian censuses of the 16th century, but it was inhabited, as evidenced by the existence of a building from that period. It is possible that this is the settlement of Pomogna Barbarigo, which is mentioned by Francesco Basilicata. 
The etymology of the name is not known. According to one view it comes from the priest Paidis, who is mentioned in the temple census of 1637. Another view says that it comes from the "paidia", which are the stunted carobs, a reference to the fact that the area is not particularly fertile .
The earliest reference to the village is in the Egyptian census of 1834 where it is listed as Paidhokhori as having 10 Christian and 5 Turkish families. In 1881 it belonged to the municipality of Fre, one of the four of Apokoronas, and according to the census it had a purely Christian population, with 164 inhabitants. In the 1900 census it had 233 inhabitants and belonged to the same municipality. 

In 1920 it was designated as the seat of the homonymous rural municipality. Initially it was included in the community of Pemonia, but in 1929 it was designated as the seat of the community of the same name. In 1970 the Nerochori settlement was annexed to Paidochori. The community was preserved until the Kapodistrian administrative division in 1997, when it was annexed to the municipality of Fre
Community of Paidochori
 In addition to its seat, the Community of Paidochori also includes the settlements of Agioi Pantes and Nerochori. 
Nerochori was mentioned for the last time in the 1961 census. It is the birthplace of the great Metropolitan Ireneos Galanakis (1911-2013).
Nerochori In total the community has 212 inhabitants.
Macheri village Chania belong to the municipality of APOKORONAS of the Regional Unit of CHANIA located in the Region of Crete, according to the administrative division of Greece as formed by the "Kallikratis" program.
Macheri village Chania The official name is "the Knives". The seat of the municipality is Vryses and they belong to the geographical division of Crete.
During the administrative division of Greece with the "Kapodistrias" plan, until 2010, Macheiros belonged to the Local District of Macheiros, of the former Municipality of ARMENI of the Prefecture of CHANIA.
Macheiroi has an altitude of 169 meters above sea level, at latitude 35.4096595843 and longitude 24.1299409426.
Kefalas is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronas in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. 
Kefalas The settlement is built in a privileged position overlooking both the White Mountains and the sea, while it has a strong architectural character that is quite well preserved.
Stilos village of Chania or Stylos
Stylos Chania Stilos or Stylos is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronas in the regional unit of Chania in Crete. It is located at an altitude of 40 meters, on the banks of the river Koiliaris, and has abundant springs. It is 18 kilometers from Chania.
Armeni Village
Armeni Village Armeni is a village and seat of the community of the same name in the municipality of Apokoronos in the regional unit of Chania in Crete. According to the 2011 census, Armenians have 345 inhabitants. They are located at an altitude of 50 meters, on the banks of the river Xide, and has abundant springs. It is 21 kilometers from Chania 
Litsarda
Litsarda Litsarda is a village in the community of Xirosterni in the municipality of Apokoronos in the regional unit of Chania in Crete. According to the 2011 census, Litsarda has 116 inhabitants. It is located at an altitude of 290 meters. It is 28 kilometers from Chania, and is located 2.7 kilometers east of Vamos.
Tsivaras (Local Community of Kalyves - Municipality Unit of ARMENOUS), belongs to the municipality of APOKORONOS of the Regional Unit of CHANIA located in the Region of Crete, according to the administrative division of Greece as formed by the "Kallikratis" program.
Tsivaras  The official name is "Tsivaras". The seat of the municipality is Vryses and it belongs to the geographical division of Crete.
During the administrative division of Greece with the "Kapodistrias" plan, until 2010, Tsivaras belonged to the Local District of Kalyvo, of the former Municipality of ARMENI of the Prefecture of CHANIA 
Tsivaras has an altitude of 102 meters above sea level, at latitude 35.4332765887 and longitude 24.1766679915.
Sellia village
sellia chania Apokoronas Sellia (officially: Ta Sellia) is a village and seat of the community of the municipality of Apokoronas in the regional unit of Chania, Crete.
Kokkino Chorio
Kokkino Chorio Small picturesque village in Apokoronas district of Chania prefecture. It is located 26 km east of Chania and has an altitude of 150 m. It was the seat of a community until 1998 and since then it belongs to the municipality of Apokoronou.
Built near the sea and a mountain, the Red Village has 162 good, kind and hospitable residents. Oil, wine, horticultural, livestock and dairy products are produced here.
The beautiful Apokoronas village has very well-kept houses built of stone in the old style (chamber houses), picturesque narrow streets and a large square at the edge of which is built the two-martyr church dedicated to Agios Charalambos and the Apostles Peter and Paul. It is an old church, quite large and stone-built with arches. It has a wonderful carved iconostasis of the 16th or 17th century and icons of great value. It is celebrated on February 10 and June 30.
In the village there are cisterns whose age reaches 400 years.
Kampia village
Kampia village Kampia (Local Community of Plaka - Municipal Unit of VAMOU), belongs to the municipality of APOKORONAS of the Regional Unit of CHANIA located in the Region of Crete, according to the administrative division of Greece as formed by the "Kallikratis" program.
The official name is "the Caterpillars". The seat of the municipality is Vryses and they belong to the geographical division of Crete.
During the administrative division of Greece with the "Kapodistrias" plan, until 2010, Kampia belonged to the Local District of Plaka, of the former Municipality of VAMOS of the Prefecture of CHANIA 
Kampia has an altitude of 156 meters above sea level, at latitude 35.4430173981 and longitude 24.2176923761.
Gavalochori is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronas in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. 
Gavalochori It is located at an altitude of 100 meters, in a valley with olive and grape crops. It is 26 kilometers from Chania.
Nipos of Apokoronas is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronos in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. 
Nipos Apokoronas Chania It is 33 kilometers from Chania. The inhabitants of the village are engaged in agriculture and animal husbandry, while its most important products are olive oil, wine and raisins, olives and plants, vegetables and fruits, oranges.
Fones of Apokoronas(Local Community of Mazis - Municipal Unit of KRYONERIDAS),belongs to the municipality of APOKORONAS of the Regional Unit of CHANIA located in the Region of Crete, according to the administrative division of Greece as formed by the "Kallikratis" program.
FonesThe official name is "Fones". The seat of the municipality is Vryses and it belongs to the geographical division of Crete.
During the administrative division of Greece with the "Kapodistrias" plan, until 2010, Fones belonged to the Local District of Mazis, of the former Municipality of KRYONERIDAS of the Prefecture of CHANIA.
Fones has an altitude of 136 meters above sea level, at latitude 35.3532433336 and longitude 24.227147329.
Neo Chorio is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronos in the regional unit of Chania, Crete. 
Neo Chorio Chania It is located at an altitude of 80 meters, in the Xide river valley. The village is located on the old Chania-Rethymno national road and is 23 kilometers from Chania.
Kaina of Apokoronas is a village and seat of the homonymous community of the municipality of Apokoronos in the regional unit of Chania in Crete.
Kaina Chania It is located at a distance of 28 km from the city of Chania.
Douliana of Apokoronas is a quiet, small, traditional village well hidden from mass tourism.
DoulianaHere are some fine examples of traditional architecture in new or renovated buildings? the traditional character of the area has placed the village under architectural protection and preservation.
Douliana It is located 25 kilometers east of Chania, and 35 kilometers west of Rethymnon.
Visiting one of the villages mentioned in this text is important, Cretan architecture-local properties and villages that combine tourism and agriculture professions with great succeed! Hiring a car is important, you can travel around safe and meet friends and visit beautiful destinations, stay in a traditional resort or a hotel! read Apokoronas part 1
 
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *